Calgary Tattoo Artist
Choosing a tattoo artist can be a cumbersome process and if not done the right way you are bound to be stuck with the wrong tattoo for life. Do you wish you had a stunning tattoo that would stay the same forever? Do you know if the tattoo artist you have chosen is the right one for you or not? Choose a tattoo artist wisely because once done getting it removed can be expensive and time consuming. Buckle up and check out how to choose a tattoo artist, the way I did several years ago.
I am a walking tattoo album, why? Because I have tattoos all over my body (no, not my face) and I am the envy of my friends, neighbors and my little brother. The first time I wanted a tattoo, my mom was against it, but I convinced her and started my hunt for that perfect tattoo artist who would give me a unique amazing design and bring out my persona. I thought it was as easy as a pie and boy, was I wrong?
There were so many tattoo artists and I was totally confused but nevertheless I made my choice and fixed up an appointment with him immediately and was to get my very first tattoo the next day. I remember how excited I was to get it done and the moment the needle pierced my skin, I wanted to just run away and escape to a safer place. But I had to hang on and be done with it. You see, I did not do my research properly and ended up with the wrong artist. The experience I had was something I just cannot describe in words, it was that bad. The tattoo was of poor quality and not what I dreamt of. I do not want any of you to go through this ever and this has inspired me to put down all of my experience and share it with you so that you don’t do the same mistakes as I have. Read on to find out how to choose the perfect tattoo artist, the way I did from my second tattoo to the latest.
- Research thoroughly – Yes! That is the first rule. You need to do a thorough research when you are planning to get your tattoo.
- Check artist’s credibility : Nowadays we have access to loads of information on the internet. Check for the reviews of the artist. Sometimes there may be lot of hype, check for customer feedback and the more repeat customers he has it is a good sign that he does a good job. See if he is verified and his area of specialization like new school or black/white, tribal etc. Check to see if you are satisfied with his portfolio.
- Inspect the Shop : Always visit the shop and check to see if it is clean and tidy. Is the shop sterile, what is the sterilization process used for daily tools? How often are the tools cleaned and sterilized? If you do not get a convincing answer then look for the next shop, simple! After all it is a life time affair so you need to be extra cautious.
- Price matters : Is the price too steep or too cheap? If it is too cheap then probably it is not worth it, if the prices are too steep it is probably better to take a walk. You should look for reasonably priced tattoo artist. If he is reasonable, it proves that he does care about his customers and wants them back.
If you are satisfied with all 3 criteria mentioned above then congrats! You have just found yourself the right tattoo artist.
Once you have found your perfect tattoo artist now what? Yes, it is time to do your part. Read further to know how to get that perfect tattoo that you always dreamed of.
- Selecting Design : This is the easiest part. Select a design of your choice or create one yourself. If you want you can use the internet for ideas but do not copy it. Check your design with your artist and if he says that it may not suit you then change it because your artist knows best. I used to get my ideas from people who had plenty of tattoos all over their bodies. Try them for a change.
- Do not be in a hurry : You have to wait to check if the design you selected is not putting you off after a couple of days. Draw a sketch of the tattoo on your arm and keep looking at it several times of the day for at least a month or two. If you are not bored by it then go ahead with the design, that is the right one for you.
- Tattoo location : Decide where you want your tattoo to be done. Do not choose placement that involves lot of daily activities like bottom of feet or palm. Your artist can suggest the best place for you since he has experience in this. Choose placement wisely and take care not to hurt yourself too much.
- Allergy test : If you are allergic to any brand of ink then check with your artist as to which brand he uses. Sometimes you may be allergic to colors used as well. It makes sense to do a patch test before you get the real tattoo done.
- Be mentally prepared : Getting a tattoo involves a little bit of pain, so be mentally prepared to bear the pain. Avoid highly sensitive places like your spine because it will be painful. Take a deep breath and hang on, you will get the best results. If you can go along with a friend, the better. It will help you relax and since most first timers do not know what questions to ask, a friend may help you if he/she already has a tattoo experience. Check for after-care solutions offered by the artist. Do not use your own medication without consulting your artist first.
- General preparations : While on the job you may feel hungry, thirsty or tired so have a good night’s sleep, have a good breakfast or lunch and also pack something for later use. Sometimes it may take longer than you think depending upon the design and variations of colors used. Talk to your friend but not much with the artist so that you don’t distract him. If you end up going alone for tattooing then relax by listening to music or watching a movie, avoid talking to the artist as much as possible and you know why?
Try these tips and you will be on your way to glory. Plan well in advance, choose wisely and relax all the way through for the most awesome looking tattoo that will be your pride and joy for a lifetime. Now that you have learnt how to choose the perfect tattoo artist and what you need to do as a first timer to the tattoo world, go ahead and just do it!! Let us provide you with a top Calgary Tatoo.
Jokers Tattoo & Body F/X
202- 120 16 Ave NE Calgary, AB T2E 1J5